1. What is excess?
Excess refers to the amount that you are responsible to pay as per the policy terms & conditions in respect of each and every claim payable (including cost and expenditure incurred by the insurance company to conduct, defense and settlement of any claim for the loss or damage to your vehicle, and damage to third party property resulted from the accident arising out of the use of your vehicle for liability to third parties), in addition to any other excess that may be applicable. For example, the excess of your policy is RM200 and the total claim amount is RM1,500. Your insurer will only pay out RM1,300 for the claim while you have to pay the remaining RM200.

2. Under what circumstances will the Compulsory Excess (2f Endorsement) apply?
For Private Car Motor Policy, you are responsible for a compulsory excess of RM400.00 for each and every claim, in addition to the excess stated in the Schedule (if any) if your vehicle is being driven by the following persons authorized by you:

a) Any authorized person not named in the Schedule.

b) Any authorized person under the age of 21 years.

c) Any authorized person who is the holder of driving license of less than 2 years experience.

d) Any person named in the policy Schedule who is less than the age of 21 years and/or the holder of a provisional (L) driving license and/or the holder of a Full Driving license of less than 2 years.

Under Insured

1. At what value should I insure my vehicle?
You need to insure your vehicle based on the market value of your vehicle at the time of renewal / commencement of your motor policy. This value is also called the Sum Insured of your vehicle in your motor policy.

2. My insurer told me that my claim would be paid based on the average clause because my car was under insured, even though I have a comprehensive motor policy. What is average clause? Why no one advised me when I insured my car? Is it the responsibility of the insurer?
Average Clause will be applied whenever your vehicle is under insured (insured for a sum less than its market value) at the time of any loss or damage. You shall bear the difference and the ratable proportion of the loss when the market value of your vehicle at the time of loss exceeds the insured value by 10%. It is the responsibility of Insured himself to find out the actual and current value of the vehicle before insuring the vehicle. The Insured may request the agent or a particular underwriter to assist or advise them on market valuation.


Betterment is a scale (%) imposed to the vehicle aged above 5 years when new franchise parts are used during an accident repair that was paid by the insurance company. The insured will have to bear for the betterment charges because his/her vehicle’s old damaged parts were replaced with new franchise parts since the motor insurance policy only indemnifies the insured’s vehicle in the condition just before the accident. The application of betterment is at the discretion of the respective insurance companies based on the Scale of Betterment approved by Bank Negara Malaysia.

Own Damage Claims

1. My car met with an accident. What type of claim should I make?
The type of claim you can make depends on the coverage of your motor policy. You can make an Own Damage claim for the damages to your vehicle only if your policy is a comprehensive coverage. Your NCD will be forfeited in the process. Third party coverage does not cover the damages to your vehicle. It will only be limited to the legal liability to third parties involving death, bodily injury and/or loss or damage to property. However, if the accident is not your fault, you can make a Third Party claim against insurer of the other party’s vehicle. For comprehensive policy, you can also make a No Fault Own Damage claim directly with your insurer where your NCD will not be forfeited No-Fault Own Damage Claim).

2. How do I make an Own Damage claim?
Please refer to our Motor Claims section for details.

3. Do I have to repair my car in a workshop authorized by the insurance company?
Yes, as stated in the policy conditions, you are required to send/tow your damaged car to a PIAM (Persatuan Insuran Am Malaysia) approved panel of workshops.

4. I was surrounded by several tow truck operators at the accident scene offering to tow my damaged car. Who should I choose? Where should I tow my car?
You have the rights to choose any tow truck operators of your choice but please ensure it is insurance authorized panel workshop in order to avoid any inconveniences when making your insurance claim. For your peace of mind, you may call ASG Auto Assist at 06-676 0000 / 06-6775984 for assistance. Upon receiving your call, we will dispatch tow truck to tow your car. Your car will be towed to the nearest Police Station first in order for you to make a police report where photographs of your damage vehicle will be taken and finally, towed to the workshop for repairs.

5. What happens after I have submitted the claim form and all the supporting documents for my Own Damage claim?
Upon receiving your claim, insurance’s claim department will assign an Adjuster or our in-house loss surveyor to assess the damages to your car, if it is not already done at the scene of the accident, in order to prepare the Adjuster report. Provided all required documents are in order, your claim will be processed. An approval letter stating the amount offered for the claim and discharge voucher will be prepared for your collection. The workshop can proceed with the repairs once receiving a copy of the offer letter signed by you. Payment for the repairs will be dealt with between insurance company and the workshop. You will have to bear any charges not covered by the claim such as excess, betterment or other uninsured charges. You will have to sign the discharge voucher when collecting your repaired car from the workshop.

6. What is a Knock for Knock (KFK) claim?
KFK Claim is a claim made by an insured against the third party insurers for the cost of repairs in the event of an accident in accordance to the KFK agreement.

7. I was involved in a chain collision with 4 cars as shown below. Who should I claim the damages to my vehicle from?

If and should the collision of your vehicle and to the vehicle immediately in front is caused by the impact of the vehicle behind you, then the Third Party claimed against you by the vehicle in front will not affect your NCD.

• Parked vehicles
• Where the front vehicle makes a “U” turn
• Vehicles not travelling in the same direction; or
• Foreign registered vehicles

8. What is No-Fault Own Damage (ODN) claim and the advantages to Policyholders?
Based on the revised PIAM guideline effective 1 June 2001, you can now make a No-Fault Own Damage (ODN) claim for damages to your vehicle in the event of an accident that is not your fault against your insurer instead of to the insurer of the other party’s vehicle and your NCD will not be forfeited. Therefore, you will enjoy faster claims settlement service by dealing directly with your insurer.

9. What is the difference between Knock For Knock (KFK) claim & ODN claim?
KFK Claim is a claim made by an insured against the third party insurers for the cost of repairs whereas for ODN, insured can claim the cost of repairs under his own comprehensive policy without affecting the NCD.

10. How do I make an ODN Claim?
You need to submit the following documents, in addition to the required supporting documents for Own Damage Claim:
b) The police findings, police sketch plan & keys & the Third Party police report as proof

11. Can I make an ODN claim if my car was knocked by an unknown vehicle while being parked in a car park?

12. Can I make ODN claim if I’m driving or the other party is driving a taxi, bus or a hire & reward vehicle?
No, Taxi / bus / hire & reward vehicles are not covered within the scope of ODN claims as per the revised KFK Agreement.

Theft Claims

1. My vehicle was stolen. How do I make a theft claim?
a) Remain calm and ascertain whether your vehicle has actually been stolen. Eliminate the probability that your vehicle has not been towed away or seized by the local authorities for errant parking/ traffic obstruction or repossessed by your hire purchase owner or finance company.

b) Immediately lodge a police report at the nearest police station with details such as date and time when your car was parked, date & time of loss being discovered, exact location of loss, vehicle’s particulars (registration no., make & model, chassis & engine no (if available). It is best for you to bring along a copy of the vehicle’s Registration Card for easy referencing and action by the police.

c) Collect the Claim form and notify your insurer or your servicing agent within 14 days.

d) Fill up the Claim form attached with the relevant documents to the insurer within 14 days.

2. How much does my Comprehensive motor policy compensate me for my stolen vehicle? What happens if I under/over insure my vehicle?
The theft claim will be settled based on the Market Value of the vehicle at the time of loss or the Sum Insured, whichever is lower. As such, if the vehicle is under-insured, the settlement will be based on the Sum Insured, likewise if the vehicle is over-insured, the settlement will then depend on the prevailing Market Value.

3. Why does a theft claim takes 6 months or more to process?
The period given by Bank Negara Malaysia (in its guidelines on settlement of vehicle theft) is stipulated to be processed within 6 months. However, in most cases, claims are settled as soon as the theft investigation is finalized without any irregularities being detected and all documents required for claims processing with payment have been processed.

4. I am not satisfied with the amount has offered to compensate the loss of my vehicle as I feel the amount offered is lower than the market value. How do I appeal?
If you are not satisfied with the claim offer amount, you can always file an appeal letter to the Claims Manager with relevant documentation justifying the vehicle’s Market Value (at time of loss) or the supposed settlement amount (e.g. newspaper clippings, classifieds, written quotations or valuation from reputable car dealers). Your appeal however, will be subjected to further deliberation.

5. What should I do if the police inform me that my stolen vehicle has been found?
You are to immediately channel the said recovery information to the insurance branch office or Motor Theft Recovery Section at Headquarters for further advice on appropriate action. If the vehicle is recovered before the theft claim is settled, you will have options to either:

a) To withdraw the claim (if the vehicle is recovered in good condition).

b) To withdraw the claim and undertake the repair at his own expense (if the vehicle sustained minor damage and the insured wishes to retain his/her NCD entitlement).

c) To withdraw the Theft Claim but pursue with Own Damage Claim (if vehicle recovered sustained extensive damage or has missing parts).

6. If the insurance company has already compensated me for my stolen vehicle and the police found my vehicle later on, can I get my car back? What should I do?
a) In the event that a theft claim has been settled or paid by the insurance company, they will automatically have legal interest or ownership claim to the subject vehicle irrespective of the theft recovery aspect.

b) If you receive police information pertaining to the recovery of your stolen vehicle after we have settled your claim, please channel the said information immediately to any of the insurance branch office or the Motor Theft Recovery section in Headquarters for them to physically recover the said vehicle.

c) If you wish to get back your recovered vehicle after insurance company has settled your claim, you may officially write in to our Wreck Tender Committee indicating the amount you wish to offer for the committee’s consideration. However, this is only applicable when the vehicle is released by police without any condition or court bond.

d) Under normal circumstances, all theft-recovered vehicles will be listed for wreck tender exercises to other parties or panel workshops by the said committee.

Windscreen Claims

1. My car’s windscreen was damaged. How do I make a windscreen claim?
You should first check your motor policy if you have purchased separate windscreen damage cover. If this additional cover is included in your policy, you can either claim for repair or replacement of your damaged windscreen without affecting your NCD. Please refer to our Motor Claims section for details on windscreen claim.


Making an insurance claim may be a hassle for some people. Here is the simple guideline that could help you accelerate your claim process. Here’s a simple to-do list that could guide you to pursue your insurance claim easily, minus the hassle:

1. Own Damage Claim
You can make an Own Damage claim towards loss / damages sustained to your vehicle on your own policy, if your vehicle is protected by a comprehensive motor insurance policy

a) Report to the police within 24 hours as required by Law.
b) Send your vehicle to an authorized workshop for immediate attention.

Kindly submit together with copy of the following documents

• Original police report.

Copies of:
– Insurance Policy / Cover note.
– Vehicle registration card.
– Road tax disc.
– Identity card and driving license of the vehicle owner.
– Identity card and driving license of the driver.
– Hire purchase agreement (if applicable).

Your NCD will be forfeited when you make an Own Damage claim.

No-Fault Own Damage Claim (Own Damage Knock for Knock)
No-Fault Own Damage claim is similar to an Own Damage claim with exception that your NCD will not be forfeited. Introduced by Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) effective June 2001 in order to expedite the claim process, this claim is applicable only when the accident is deemed not your fault. This is determined by the circumstances of the accident and through the police investigation report (ie Police compound/findings, sketch plan and key) to support the claim. The claim is made only with regards to damages to your vehicle excluding compensations such as loss of use.

Follow the procedure as outlined in “Own Damage Claim”. In addition to the documents to be submitted with your claim form, please enclose the following documents :
Copies of :
• Signed declaration letter (for No-fault accident)
• Third party’s police report
• Police compound / findings
• Police sketch plan and keys (if any)

2. Windscreen Claim
You can make a windscreen claim in the event your vehicle’s windscreen is damaged if your vehicle is covered by a comprehensive motor insurance policy with a windscreen cover extension.

• Complete and sign the Claim Form and submit together with copy of the following documents within 14 days.
– Original police report and / or photos of damaged windscreen .
– Copies of:
* Vehicle registration card.
* Road tax disc.
* Insured’s identity card & driving license.
* Driver’s identity card & driving license.
* Insurance policy / Cover note.
* Photos of repaired windscreen
* Cash bill / final bill / receipt.

3. Theft Claim
You can make a theft claim in the event your vehicle is stolen / loss if your vehicle is protected by a comprehensive or a third party fire and theft motor insurance policy.
• Report to the police within 24 hours as required by Law and obtain a copy of the police report.
• Collect the claim form from your insurance company, complete and sign accordingly, and submit together with copy of the following documents within 14 days.
1. Original police report
2. Copies of:
• Insurance Policy / Cover note
• Vehicle registration card
• Identity card and driving license of the vehicle owner
• Identity card and driving license of the driver
• Hire purchase agreement (if applicable)
– Notify your insurance company if your vehicle is recovered in order to facilitate damage survey by your insurance company’s appointed adjusters before removal from police custody.
– Your NCD will be forfeited when you make a theft claim.

4. Notification
Even though you do not intend to make any claim or you are making a Third Party claim against the third party insurer, you are require to notify your Insurer for protection against liability resulting from the accident, against yourself and your Insurer. This is a requirement of the policy terms & condition to avoid your Insurer to repudiate all liabilities / third party claim that may arise from the accident or to recover any monies paid.

Follow the procedure as outlined in “Own Damage Claim” with exception to repairer’s estimate.


No matter how skilled a driver you are, accidents can still happen even though you have been careful. Therefore, in such an unfortunate event, it is essential to know the necessary actions to handle the situation.

1. Safety First
Park your vehicle in a safe and visible place to avoid additional accidents or create a traffic jam. Remember to turn on the hazard lights to warn oncoming traffic of your position.

2. Attend to the injured
Determine if anyone is injured in the accident. Call for the ambulance and the police if there is any casualty involved.

” Always avoid argument, dispute or controversy. Instead, politely request for important details.”

3. Stay calm Always avoid argument, dispute, or controversy. Instead, politely request for the following details:
• Vehicle registration number
• Driver’s particulars (name, address, contact phone number).
• Precise time, date and place of accident.
• The Insurer’s name and insurance policy number (if possible) of the vehicles.
• Details of witnesses, if any (name, address, contact phone number).
• Details of injured persons, if any (name, address, contact phone number).

4. Be careful
DO NOT commit liability or settlement.

5. Report the accident
Drive or tow your vehicle to the nearest police station from the place of accident and lodge a police report within 24 hours as required by law. Your vehicle need to be inspected and photographs taken by the police.

6. Towing & repairs
Arrange for your vehicle to be towed to a workshop for repairs. Check with your Insurer as they may have a panel of authorized workshop. You may call ASG 24/7 Auto Assist at 06-6775984 / 06-6760000 for assistance. Upon receiving your call, our call centre will be dispatched to tow your vehicle.

7. Notify your Insurer
Complete the Claim / Notification Form and submit to your Insurer as soon as possible even though you do not intend to make the claim, for protection against liability resulting from the accident, against yourself and your Insurer.

Enclose copies of the following supporting documents with your Claim Form:
• Police report (original or certified true copy).
• Insurance policy/Cover note.
• Vehicle registration card.
• Road tax disc.
• Identity card and driving license of the vehicle owner.
• Identity card and driving license of the driver.
• Any correspondence you may receive from third party.